Headlines
Re-audit, fix blame by evening: CM on FOB crash
Mumbai, March 15
Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis on Friday asked for an immediate probe to "fix primary responsibility by the evening" on all those behind the foot-overbridge (FOB) collapse that claimed six lives.
He also sought a "revisit of the safety audits", which had declared the Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus (CSTM) bridge "safe" but it collapsed here on Thursday at 7.40 p.m. injuring 32 others, some critically.
Visiting the injured at various hospitals in south Mumbai, a grim Fadnavis said "it was an extremely serious matter" that the bridge which had already undergone a structural audit had crashed suddenly.
"This also raises questions on the audits conducted on the city bridges... The structural and safety audits carried out on all the bridges need to be revisited.
"I have also ordered the Municipal Commissioner to affix the 'primary responsibility' on the officials and police will lodge separate first information reports against them," Fadnavis assured.
The Mumbai Police have registered cases against BrihanMumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) and Indian Railway officials charging them with negligence and culpable homicide in the bridge which crashed barely six months after the structural audit cleared it suggesting minor repairs.
Late last night Fadnavis announced Rs 5 lakh ex gratia each to the kin of deceased and Rs 50,000 to the injured, besides a high-level probe into the incident.
Connecting the CSMT's suburban platform No. 1 with the B.T. Lane near The Times of India Building and the Anjuman-e-Islam School, it was used by thousands of daily suburban commuters rushing to catch the local trains on Central Railway and the Harbour Line.
Although the debris below the bridge has been cleared, traffic restrictions continued on the busy D.N. Road, a traffic official said.
He also sought a "revisit of the safety audits", which had declared the Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus (CSTM) bridge "safe" but it collapsed here on Thursday at 7.40 p.m. injuring 32 others, some critically.
Visiting the injured at various hospitals in south Mumbai, a grim Fadnavis said "it was an extremely serious matter" that the bridge which had already undergone a structural audit had crashed suddenly.
"This also raises questions on the audits conducted on the city bridges... The structural and safety audits carried out on all the bridges need to be revisited.
"I have also ordered the Municipal Commissioner to affix the 'primary responsibility' on the officials and police will lodge separate first information reports against them," Fadnavis assured.
The Mumbai Police have registered cases against BrihanMumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) and Indian Railway officials charging them with negligence and culpable homicide in the bridge which crashed barely six months after the structural audit cleared it suggesting minor repairs.
Late last night Fadnavis announced Rs 5 lakh ex gratia each to the kin of deceased and Rs 50,000 to the injured, besides a high-level probe into the incident.
Connecting the CSMT's suburban platform No. 1 with the B.T. Lane near The Times of India Building and the Anjuman-e-Islam School, it was used by thousands of daily suburban commuters rushing to catch the local trains on Central Railway and the Harbour Line.
Although the debris below the bridge has been cleared, traffic restrictions continued on the busy D.N. Road, a traffic official said.
2 hours ago
Iran's IRGC says more 'devastating' weapons to be used if new war begins
2 hours ago
Meenakshi Seshadri says films have often shown mother-in-law-daughter-in-law relationships in a negative light
2 hours ago
Sam Smith: Madonna is my mother, lauds her support for queer people
2 hours ago
Andrea Jeremiah, Benny Dayal, Karthik to judge first season of 'Tamil Idol'
3 hours ago
AAPI Celebrates India’s 80th Independence Day, Leading the India Day Parade in New York City
3 hours ago
US-North Korea dialogue key first step to halting Pyongyang's nuclear program: South Korea's Unification Ministry
4 hours ago
Formula 1: Max Verstappen pens contract extension with Red Bull till 2030
4 hours ago
Premier League: Arsenal's title defence, new arrivals all you need to know ahead of new season
4 hours ago
Instagram uses 'don't ask, don't tell' approach on under‑13 users' safety: Ex-Meta Engineer in US court
4 hours ago
Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir elected Bangladesh's 23rd President
7 hours ago
CM Vijay calls for united southern strategy on drugs, economy, federal rights
7 hours ago
CM Satheesan’s federalism pitch at zonal council, says Kerala cannot keep bearing burden
8 hours ago
Soori's 'Mandaadi' cleared for release with U/A 16+ certificate
