Headlines
Fugitive don Dawood 'enters' Maharashtra poll debate
Mumbai, March 19
Politics in Maharashtra in the run-up to the Lok Sabha elections took another twist on Tuesday as Bharipa Bahujan Mahasangh chief Prakash Ambedkar on Tuesday raked up the oft-repeated issue of fugitive mafia don Dawood Ibrahim Kaskar's purported offer to surrender.
At a media briefing here, Ambedkar claimed that Dawood was willing to surrender in 1993, but the then Chief Minister and present Nationalist Congress Party chief Sharad Pawar allegedly took no steps in the matter.
"The proposal had gone through the Rajya Sabha member, Ram Jethmalani... I was also a member of the upper house and we were friends. He mentioned this to me.
"It was up to the PM to decide on what terms and conditions the mafia don could have been brought back. He (Pawar) must clarify whether he had informed the then Prime Minister (P.V. Narasimha Rao) or kept the information to himself," Ambedkar demanded.
However, the NCP hit back at Ambedkar, wondering why he was raising the issue of Dawood's reported readiness to surrender - which has been a matter of debate for over 25 years.
"This is being done to help the Bharatiya Janata Party in the upcoming elections. Pawar has repeatedly made it clear in the past that the terms and conditions on which the fugitive criminal sought to surrender were not acceptable to the government," NCP spokesperson Nawab Malik said.
"Moreover, he wondered if Jethmalani was such a nationalist, then why didn't he inform the Interpol about meeting Dawood. Later, he was a Union minister and there was a BJP government twice in the centre and state. Then why they could not get Dawood to surrender? Did Jethmalani ever raise the issue with the BJP government or not?" he asked.
Malik also questioned the "motives" of Ambedkar in highlighting the issue now and asked if it was intended to benefit the BJP, particularly since the Vanchit Bahujan Aghadi-All India Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen alliance is fighting the Lok Sabha polls independently in Maharashtra's 48 parliamentary constituencies.
The alliance, led by Ambedkar and Hyderabad MP Asaduddin Owaisi, has decided to put up candidates in all seats after its talks with the Congress-NCP collapsed last week.
Incidentally, in September 2017, Maharashtra Navnirman Sena President Raj Thackeray had publicly stated that Dawood was very ill and wanted to return to India and spend his final days here.
However, he alleged that the Modi government would claim this return as its "big achievement" and exploit it for political gains.
At a media briefing here, Ambedkar claimed that Dawood was willing to surrender in 1993, but the then Chief Minister and present Nationalist Congress Party chief Sharad Pawar allegedly took no steps in the matter.
"The proposal had gone through the Rajya Sabha member, Ram Jethmalani... I was also a member of the upper house and we were friends. He mentioned this to me.
"It was up to the PM to decide on what terms and conditions the mafia don could have been brought back. He (Pawar) must clarify whether he had informed the then Prime Minister (P.V. Narasimha Rao) or kept the information to himself," Ambedkar demanded.
However, the NCP hit back at Ambedkar, wondering why he was raising the issue of Dawood's reported readiness to surrender - which has been a matter of debate for over 25 years.
"This is being done to help the Bharatiya Janata Party in the upcoming elections. Pawar has repeatedly made it clear in the past that the terms and conditions on which the fugitive criminal sought to surrender were not acceptable to the government," NCP spokesperson Nawab Malik said.
"Moreover, he wondered if Jethmalani was such a nationalist, then why didn't he inform the Interpol about meeting Dawood. Later, he was a Union minister and there was a BJP government twice in the centre and state. Then why they could not get Dawood to surrender? Did Jethmalani ever raise the issue with the BJP government or not?" he asked.
Malik also questioned the "motives" of Ambedkar in highlighting the issue now and asked if it was intended to benefit the BJP, particularly since the Vanchit Bahujan Aghadi-All India Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen alliance is fighting the Lok Sabha polls independently in Maharashtra's 48 parliamentary constituencies.
The alliance, led by Ambedkar and Hyderabad MP Asaduddin Owaisi, has decided to put up candidates in all seats after its talks with the Congress-NCP collapsed last week.
Incidentally, in September 2017, Maharashtra Navnirman Sena President Raj Thackeray had publicly stated that Dawood was very ill and wanted to return to India and spend his final days here.
However, he alleged that the Modi government would claim this return as its "big achievement" and exploit it for political gains.
2 hours ago
Iran's IRGC says more 'devastating' weapons to be used if new war begins
2 hours ago
Meenakshi Seshadri says films have often shown mother-in-law-daughter-in-law relationships in a negative light
2 hours ago
Sam Smith: Madonna is my mother, lauds her support for queer people
2 hours ago
Andrea Jeremiah, Benny Dayal, Karthik to judge first season of 'Tamil Idol'
3 hours ago
AAPI Celebrates India’s 80th Independence Day, Leading the India Day Parade in New York City
3 hours ago
US-North Korea dialogue key first step to halting Pyongyang's nuclear program: South Korea's Unification Ministry
3 hours ago
Formula 1: Max Verstappen pens contract extension with Red Bull till 2030
3 hours ago
Premier League: Arsenal's title defence, new arrivals all you need to know ahead of new season
4 hours ago
Instagram uses 'don't ask, don't tell' approach on under‑13 users' safety: Ex-Meta Engineer in US court
4 hours ago
Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir elected Bangladesh's 23rd President
6 hours ago
CM Vijay calls for united southern strategy on drugs, economy, federal rights
6 hours ago
CM Satheesan’s federalism pitch at zonal council, says Kerala cannot keep bearing burden
8 hours ago
Soori's 'Mandaadi' cleared for release with U/A 16+ certificate
