Headlines
Nato chief calls on Russia to save INF missile treaty
Washington, July 18
Time is running out to save a key missile treaty with Russia, Nato Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg has said.
Stoltenberg pledged a "measured, defensive" response if Russia did not come back into compliance with the deal by the August 2 deadline.
"We have to be prepared for a world... with more Russian missiles," he told the BBC.
The 1987 agreement signed by the US and USSR banned short and medium-range missiles.
US President Trump announced the US would suspend its obligations under the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces (INF) Treaty in February, accusing Russia of breaching its terms.
Russia denied the allegation but suspended its own obligations shortly afterwards and announced plans to develop new weapons systems.
In an interview with the BBC, Stoltenberg said the Russian missiles - which he says are in "clear violation of the treaty" - are nuclear capable, mobile, very hard to detect, and able to reach European cities within a few minutes.
"This is serious. The INF treaty has been a corner stone in arms control for decades and now we see the demise of the treaty," he said.
While the priority was to get Russia to come back into compliance with its terms, Stoltenberg said there were "no signs whatsoever" the country will do so. Therefore, we have to be prepared for a world without the INF treaty and with more Russian missiles."
While Nato has no plan to deploy nuclear land-based missiles of its own in Europe, Stoltenberg said the alliance would respond in a "measured, defensive way" if Russia refused to come back into compliance by August 2.
Conventional air and missile defence, new exercises and readiness of forces, and new arms control initiatives could all form part of that response, he said. Any final decision will come after the deadline.
Stoltenberg also addressed Russia's delivery of its advanced S-400 missile defence system to Nato member Turkey last week.
The US says it will remove Turkey from its F-35 fighter jet programme in response. Ankara has recently moved closer to Moscow, raising tensions between Turkey and the US.
"It is a serious issue because it is a serious disagreement which involves two important allies," Stoltenberg said. Nato supports efforts to resolve the disagreement, he added, while praising Turkey's key role in the organisation.
Stoltenberg pledged a "measured, defensive" response if Russia did not come back into compliance with the deal by the August 2 deadline.
"We have to be prepared for a world... with more Russian missiles," he told the BBC.
The 1987 agreement signed by the US and USSR banned short and medium-range missiles.
US President Trump announced the US would suspend its obligations under the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces (INF) Treaty in February, accusing Russia of breaching its terms.
Russia denied the allegation but suspended its own obligations shortly afterwards and announced plans to develop new weapons systems.
In an interview with the BBC, Stoltenberg said the Russian missiles - which he says are in "clear violation of the treaty" - are nuclear capable, mobile, very hard to detect, and able to reach European cities within a few minutes.
"This is serious. The INF treaty has been a corner stone in arms control for decades and now we see the demise of the treaty," he said.
While the priority was to get Russia to come back into compliance with its terms, Stoltenberg said there were "no signs whatsoever" the country will do so. Therefore, we have to be prepared for a world without the INF treaty and with more Russian missiles."
While Nato has no plan to deploy nuclear land-based missiles of its own in Europe, Stoltenberg said the alliance would respond in a "measured, defensive way" if Russia refused to come back into compliance by August 2.
Conventional air and missile defence, new exercises and readiness of forces, and new arms control initiatives could all form part of that response, he said. Any final decision will come after the deadline.
Stoltenberg also addressed Russia's delivery of its advanced S-400 missile defence system to Nato member Turkey last week.
The US says it will remove Turkey from its F-35 fighter jet programme in response. Ankara has recently moved closer to Moscow, raising tensions between Turkey and the US.
"It is a serious issue because it is a serious disagreement which involves two important allies," Stoltenberg said. Nato supports efforts to resolve the disagreement, he added, while praising Turkey's key role in the organisation.
7 hours ago
1st Test: Suthar’s ten-for helps India seal 165-run victory over Sri Lanka in Galle
7 hours ago
Hilary Duff recalls late-night chatting and gossiping with late Hayden Panettiere
8 hours ago
J&K an 'important part' of India, US will reconsider travel advisories: Envoy Gor
8 hours ago
New US green card rule may hit Indians
8 hours ago
Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan USA and Chishty Foundation convene global interfaith dialogue in New York
8 hours ago
AAPI Leadership Retreat in New York Highlights Vision, Collaboration, and Unity
8 hours ago
USCIS to Publish New Edition of Form I-485; Older Editions Will Be Rejected Starting Sept. 18
12 hours ago
TN Directorate of Collegiate Education withdraws circular restricting students from joining political protests
12 hours ago
Kerala Governor Arlekar turns Good Samaritan, stops convoy to help ailing man on road
13 hours ago
Tejashwi Yadav detained during protest march in Patna; water cannon used to disperse RJD supporters
13 hours ago
Rubina Dilaik reminisces ‘KKK’ journey: Every day was filled with what will happen next
13 hours ago
Karisma Kapoor recalls ‘strict times’ working with Geeta Kapur on ‘Pyaar Kar’ from ‘Dil To Pagal Hai’
13 hours ago
Pankaj Bhadouria says cancer ‘tested body’ but ‘couldn’t break spirit’, urges women not to postpone check-ups
