Headlines
US move to bar Ankara from F-35 programme unilateral: Turkey
Ankara, July 18
The US decision to exclude Turkey from NATO's F-35 fighter jet programme is a "unilateral" step and might bring "irreparable damage" to bilateral relations, the Turkish Foreign Ministry said on Thursday.
"This unilateral move is neither related to the alliance spirit or based on legitimate foundations," the Ministry said in a statement.
"It is unfair to remove Turkey, one of the partners in the F-35 programme," the Ministry added, rejecting Washington's claim that Turkey's purchase of the Russian S-400 system would weaken the F-35 programme.
The Ministry's statement came after the White House confirmed the exclusion of Turkey from the F-35 programme, citing Ankara's decision to purchase the S-400 air defence system as the main reason, Xinhua news agency reported.
Moreover, the Turkish suppliers, which provide over 900 parts for F-35, would no longer receive $9 billion in projected work share over the life of the programme, according to Pentagon.
Turkey has ordered more than 100 F-35 fighter jets, a handful of which had been scheduled to be delivered in the coming months.
In December 2017, Turkey signed a $2.5 billion agreement with Russia on purchasing two batteries of the S-400 system.
Ankara received the first three shipments of S-400 components on July 12 and a fourth shipment on July 13, defying threats of sanctions from Washington.
"This unilateral move is neither related to the alliance spirit or based on legitimate foundations," the Ministry said in a statement.
"It is unfair to remove Turkey, one of the partners in the F-35 programme," the Ministry added, rejecting Washington's claim that Turkey's purchase of the Russian S-400 system would weaken the F-35 programme.
The Ministry's statement came after the White House confirmed the exclusion of Turkey from the F-35 programme, citing Ankara's decision to purchase the S-400 air defence system as the main reason, Xinhua news agency reported.
Moreover, the Turkish suppliers, which provide over 900 parts for F-35, would no longer receive $9 billion in projected work share over the life of the programme, according to Pentagon.
Turkey has ordered more than 100 F-35 fighter jets, a handful of which had been scheduled to be delivered in the coming months.
In December 2017, Turkey signed a $2.5 billion agreement with Russia on purchasing two batteries of the S-400 system.
Ankara received the first three shipments of S-400 components on July 12 and a fourth shipment on July 13, defying threats of sanctions from Washington.
7 hours ago
1st Test: Suthar’s ten-for helps India seal 165-run victory over Sri Lanka in Galle
7 hours ago
Hilary Duff recalls late-night chatting and gossiping with late Hayden Panettiere
8 hours ago
J&K an 'important part' of India, US will reconsider travel advisories: Envoy Gor
8 hours ago
New US green card rule may hit Indians
8 hours ago
Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan USA and Chishty Foundation convene global interfaith dialogue in New York
8 hours ago
AAPI Leadership Retreat in New York Highlights Vision, Collaboration, and Unity
8 hours ago
USCIS to Publish New Edition of Form I-485; Older Editions Will Be Rejected Starting Sept. 18
12 hours ago
TN Directorate of Collegiate Education withdraws circular restricting students from joining political protests
12 hours ago
Kerala Governor Arlekar turns Good Samaritan, stops convoy to help ailing man on road
13 hours ago
Tejashwi Yadav detained during protest march in Patna; water cannon used to disperse RJD supporters
13 hours ago
Rubina Dilaik reminisces ‘KKK’ journey: Every day was filled with what will happen next
13 hours ago
Karisma Kapoor recalls ‘strict times’ working with Geeta Kapur on ‘Pyaar Kar’ from ‘Dil To Pagal Hai’
13 hours ago
Pankaj Bhadouria says cancer ‘tested body’ but ‘couldn’t break spirit’, urges women not to postpone check-ups
