Headlines
US imposes sanctions against Iran's foreign minister
Washington, Aug 1
The US government on Wednesday sanctioned Iran's foreign minister for being the "regime's primary spokesperson around the world," a step that promises to fuel further tension with the Islamic Republic.
Washington's decision practically excludes the head of Iranian diplomacy Mohammad Javad Zarif from any possible future dialog between Washington and Tehran, the Efe news reported.
In a statement to the media, a senior administration official said that Zarif had acted as a "propaganda minister," not as a foreign minister; and US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo accused him of being a "complicit" to Iran's "malign activities" in the Middle East.
"This action represents another step toward denying the Iranian regime the resources to enable terror and oppress the Iranian people," Pompeo said in a statement.
The US Department of Treasury said in a press release that Zarif "oversees a foreign ministry that has coordinated with one of the Iranian regime's most nefarious state entities, the IRGC-Qods Force (IRGC-QF), which is designated pursuant to terrorism and human rights authorities."
Theoretically, these corps report directly to the already previously sanctioned Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei.
With these type of sanctions, Washington seeks to freeze all assets that the individuals may have in the US and prohibits them from making financial transactions with any US citizen, which in theory makes it difficult for them to access the dollar-based international financial system.
However, just after the sanctions were announced, Zarif mocked Washington's punishment on Twitter saying that he has no assets under US jurisdiction, so the sanctions don't affect him.
"The US' reason for designating me is that I am Iran's 'primary spokesperson around the world. Is the truth really painful?" he asked.
"It has no effect on me or my family, as I have no property or interests outside of Iran. Thank you for considering me such a huge threat to your agenda," he added.
When the US takes such measures it also forbids the subjects to travel to its territory. However, as head of Iranian diplomacy, Zarif frequently visits the United Nations headquarters in New York.
Asked whether the sanctions will prevent Zarif from going to the UN, an official assured that the State Department would "comply" with the 1947 agreement between the UN and the US, whereby US authorities pledge to allow officials travelling to the international organisation to enter the country.
Washington's decision practically excludes the head of Iranian diplomacy Mohammad Javad Zarif from any possible future dialog between Washington and Tehran, the Efe news reported.
In a statement to the media, a senior administration official said that Zarif had acted as a "propaganda minister," not as a foreign minister; and US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo accused him of being a "complicit" to Iran's "malign activities" in the Middle East.
"This action represents another step toward denying the Iranian regime the resources to enable terror and oppress the Iranian people," Pompeo said in a statement.
The US Department of Treasury said in a press release that Zarif "oversees a foreign ministry that has coordinated with one of the Iranian regime's most nefarious state entities, the IRGC-Qods Force (IRGC-QF), which is designated pursuant to terrorism and human rights authorities."
Theoretically, these corps report directly to the already previously sanctioned Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei.
With these type of sanctions, Washington seeks to freeze all assets that the individuals may have in the US and prohibits them from making financial transactions with any US citizen, which in theory makes it difficult for them to access the dollar-based international financial system.
However, just after the sanctions were announced, Zarif mocked Washington's punishment on Twitter saying that he has no assets under US jurisdiction, so the sanctions don't affect him.
"The US' reason for designating me is that I am Iran's 'primary spokesperson around the world. Is the truth really painful?" he asked.
"It has no effect on me or my family, as I have no property or interests outside of Iran. Thank you for considering me such a huge threat to your agenda," he added.
When the US takes such measures it also forbids the subjects to travel to its territory. However, as head of Iranian diplomacy, Zarif frequently visits the United Nations headquarters in New York.
Asked whether the sanctions will prevent Zarif from going to the UN, an official assured that the State Department would "comply" with the 1947 agreement between the UN and the US, whereby US authorities pledge to allow officials travelling to the international organisation to enter the country.
5 hours ago
1st Test: Suthar’s ten-for helps India seal 165-run victory over Sri Lanka in Galle
5 hours ago
Hilary Duff recalls late-night chatting and gossiping with late Hayden Panettiere
6 hours ago
J&K an 'important part' of India, US will reconsider travel advisories: Envoy Gor
6 hours ago
New US green card rule may hit Indians
6 hours ago
Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan USA and Chishty Foundation convene global interfaith dialogue in New York
6 hours ago
AAPI Leadership Retreat in New York Highlights Vision, Collaboration, and Unity
6 hours ago
USCIS to Publish New Edition of Form I-485; Older Editions Will Be Rejected Starting Sept. 18
10 hours ago
TN Directorate of Collegiate Education withdraws circular restricting students from joining political protests
10 hours ago
Kerala Governor Arlekar turns Good Samaritan, stops convoy to help ailing man on road
11 hours ago
Tejashwi Yadav detained during protest march in Patna; water cannon used to disperse RJD supporters
11 hours ago
Rubina Dilaik reminisces ‘KKK’ journey: Every day was filled with what will happen next
11 hours ago
Karisma Kapoor recalls ‘strict times’ working with Geeta Kapur on ‘Pyaar Kar’ from ‘Dil To Pagal Hai’
11 hours ago
Pankaj Bhadouria says cancer ‘tested body’ but ‘couldn’t break spirit’, urges women not to postpone check-ups
