Headlines
Trump addresses Taliban deal with senior advisors
Washington, Aug 17
The president of the United States met his national security team to discuss peace negotiations with the Taliban, which could lead to the withdrawal of US troops from Afghanistan.
"We are working diligently on the path forward in Afghanistan," Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in a statement on Friday, Efe news reported.
"In continued close cooperation with the government of Afghanistan, we remain committed to achieving a comprehensive peace agreement, including a reduction in violence and a ceasefire, ensuring that Afghan soil is never again used to threaten the United States or her allies, and bringing Afghans together to work towards peace," he added.
In addition to Donald Trump and Pompeo, the meeting was attended by Vice President Mike Pence, Defence Secretary Mark Esper, National Security Advisor John Bolton, Special Representative for Afghanistan Reconciliation Zalmay Khalilzad, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Joseph Dunford and Central Intelligence Agency Director Gina Haspel.
On Aug 13 after the eighth round of negotiations in Doha, Taliban spokesperson Zabihullah Mujahid told EFE that work on the agreement with the US was complete, although the sides would meet again after each team completes final consultations, and the agreement will be signed in the presence of international guarantors.
An agreement between the Taliban and Washington could include the reduction of US military personnel in Afghanistan from 14,000 to 9,000, one of Trump's objectives since he came to power.
Reportedly, in turn, the Taliban will pledge not to collaborate with al-Qaeda and prevent the terror group from using areas under Taliban control to finance, recruit or train fighters or plan operations.
They must also commit to start peace negotiations with the government of President Ashraf Ghani, to which they have so far refused. The talks would presumably be hosted by Oslo.
Trump aspires to leave only a small contingent dedicated to the fight against terrorism in Afghanistan.
"We are working diligently on the path forward in Afghanistan," Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in a statement on Friday, Efe news reported.
"In continued close cooperation with the government of Afghanistan, we remain committed to achieving a comprehensive peace agreement, including a reduction in violence and a ceasefire, ensuring that Afghan soil is never again used to threaten the United States or her allies, and bringing Afghans together to work towards peace," he added.
In addition to Donald Trump and Pompeo, the meeting was attended by Vice President Mike Pence, Defence Secretary Mark Esper, National Security Advisor John Bolton, Special Representative for Afghanistan Reconciliation Zalmay Khalilzad, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Joseph Dunford and Central Intelligence Agency Director Gina Haspel.
On Aug 13 after the eighth round of negotiations in Doha, Taliban spokesperson Zabihullah Mujahid told EFE that work on the agreement with the US was complete, although the sides would meet again after each team completes final consultations, and the agreement will be signed in the presence of international guarantors.
An agreement between the Taliban and Washington could include the reduction of US military personnel in Afghanistan from 14,000 to 9,000, one of Trump's objectives since he came to power.
Reportedly, in turn, the Taliban will pledge not to collaborate with al-Qaeda and prevent the terror group from using areas under Taliban control to finance, recruit or train fighters or plan operations.
They must also commit to start peace negotiations with the government of President Ashraf Ghani, to which they have so far refused. The talks would presumably be hosted by Oslo.
Trump aspires to leave only a small contingent dedicated to the fight against terrorism in Afghanistan.
2 hours ago
1st Test: Suthar’s ten-for helps India seal 165-run victory over Sri Lanka in Galle
2 hours ago
Hilary Duff recalls late-night chatting and gossiping with late Hayden Panettiere
3 hours ago
J&K an 'important part' of India, US will reconsider travel advisories: Envoy Gor
3 hours ago
New US green card rule may hit Indians
3 hours ago
Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan USA and Chishty Foundation convene global interfaith dialogue in New York
3 hours ago
AAPI Leadership Retreat in New York Highlights Vision, Collaboration, and Unity
3 hours ago
USCIS to Publish New Edition of Form I-485; Older Editions Will Be Rejected Starting Sept. 18
7 hours ago
TN Directorate of Collegiate Education withdraws circular restricting students from joining political protests
7 hours ago
Kerala Governor Arlekar turns Good Samaritan, stops convoy to help ailing man on road
8 hours ago
Tejashwi Yadav detained during protest march in Patna; water cannon used to disperse RJD supporters
8 hours ago
Rubina Dilaik reminisces ‘KKK’ journey: Every day was filled with what will happen next
8 hours ago
Karisma Kapoor recalls ‘strict times’ working with Geeta Kapur on ‘Pyaar Kar’ from ‘Dil To Pagal Hai’
8 hours ago
Pankaj Bhadouria says cancer ‘tested body’ but ‘couldn’t break spirit’, urges women not to postpone check-ups
