Headlines
AgustaWestland case: Court turns down Michel's bail pleas
New Delhi, Sep 7
A Delhi court on Saturday dismissed the bail pleas filed by AgustaWestland deal alleged middleman Christian Michel James in both the CBI and ED cases against him pertaining to the deal.
Special CBI Judge Arvind Kumar turning down the pleas, said, "Considering the overall facts and circumstances, serious nature of accusations, gravity of offence, crucial stage of investigation and aforesaid conduct of the accused, I do not consider it to be a fit case for grant of bail."
"The accused is a British national, having no roots in India. It is noted that NBWs were issued against him...it is not that the accused had himself joined investigation in India or appeared before this court of his own," the court observed.
The court further held that Michel "cannot claim parity with other accused persons in view of his aforesaid conduct".
Judge Kumar reserved his order for September 7 after the conclusion of arguments from both sides.
During the course of hearing, Michel's counsel Aljo K. Joseph argued that the role of his client, which has been narrated in the prosecution complaint, is that Michel got kickbacks and gave it to the Tyagi brothers.
"The prosecution said that I have taken money through hawala channels although there is no details of this claim in the prosecution complaint," Joseph said.
Michel through his counsel further told the court that both the agencies have already interrogated him for more than 600 hours.
Opposing the claims of the defence, Special Public Prosecutor (SPP) D.P. Singh informed the court: "I couldn't reach the figure of 600 hours even after including the time he took for sleeping, going to the doctor and other things."
He said Michel was brought to India after due extradition proceedings and has been in custody thereafter.
Singh said, "I'm trying to show that he did everything to influence the deal."
Concluding its arguments, the prosecution said, "He is one of the two kingpins. The other, Guido Haschke, is on the run. We are at the final stage. We want to start trial in the next four months. Looking into the gravity of charges against him and his propensity to influence and tamper, he cannot be granted the liberty of bail."
Making his final submissions, the defence counsel said, "With regard to parity, the lordship has granted bail to all. I have undergone custodial interrogation. The investigation is complete, so tampering with the evidence cannot arise as the documents are intact as said by the prosecution."
On Wednesday, the CBI told the court that it would file a supplementary charge sheet in connection with its probe into the Rs 3,600 crore AgustaWestland VVIP chopper deal.
"A supplementary charge sheet on the basis of investigation conducted so far is in the process of being filed," said CBI in its reply.
In his bail plea, Michel has stated that the investigation regarding him was over and that no useful purpose would be served by keeping him in further custody. He said he would be available to join the probe as and when required.
Michel was taken into custody by the CBI on December 5, 2018 after his extradition from Dubai, while the ED took him into custody on December 22, 2018.
He is in judicial custody in both the cases. Michel, Guido Haschke and Carlo Gerosa are the three alleged middlemen being probed in the Rs 3,600-crore VVIP chopper scam by the two central agencies.
Special CBI Judge Arvind Kumar turning down the pleas, said, "Considering the overall facts and circumstances, serious nature of accusations, gravity of offence, crucial stage of investigation and aforesaid conduct of the accused, I do not consider it to be a fit case for grant of bail."
"The accused is a British national, having no roots in India. It is noted that NBWs were issued against him...it is not that the accused had himself joined investigation in India or appeared before this court of his own," the court observed.
The court further held that Michel "cannot claim parity with other accused persons in view of his aforesaid conduct".
Judge Kumar reserved his order for September 7 after the conclusion of arguments from both sides.
During the course of hearing, Michel's counsel Aljo K. Joseph argued that the role of his client, which has been narrated in the prosecution complaint, is that Michel got kickbacks and gave it to the Tyagi brothers.
"The prosecution said that I have taken money through hawala channels although there is no details of this claim in the prosecution complaint," Joseph said.
Michel through his counsel further told the court that both the agencies have already interrogated him for more than 600 hours.
Opposing the claims of the defence, Special Public Prosecutor (SPP) D.P. Singh informed the court: "I couldn't reach the figure of 600 hours even after including the time he took for sleeping, going to the doctor and other things."
He said Michel was brought to India after due extradition proceedings and has been in custody thereafter.
Singh said, "I'm trying to show that he did everything to influence the deal."
Concluding its arguments, the prosecution said, "He is one of the two kingpins. The other, Guido Haschke, is on the run. We are at the final stage. We want to start trial in the next four months. Looking into the gravity of charges against him and his propensity to influence and tamper, he cannot be granted the liberty of bail."
Making his final submissions, the defence counsel said, "With regard to parity, the lordship has granted bail to all. I have undergone custodial interrogation. The investigation is complete, so tampering with the evidence cannot arise as the documents are intact as said by the prosecution."
On Wednesday, the CBI told the court that it would file a supplementary charge sheet in connection with its probe into the Rs 3,600 crore AgustaWestland VVIP chopper deal.
"A supplementary charge sheet on the basis of investigation conducted so far is in the process of being filed," said CBI in its reply.
In his bail plea, Michel has stated that the investigation regarding him was over and that no useful purpose would be served by keeping him in further custody. He said he would be available to join the probe as and when required.
Michel was taken into custody by the CBI on December 5, 2018 after his extradition from Dubai, while the ED took him into custody on December 22, 2018.
He is in judicial custody in both the cases. Michel, Guido Haschke and Carlo Gerosa are the three alleged middlemen being probed in the Rs 3,600-crore VVIP chopper scam by the two central agencies.
2 hours ago
TN Directorate of Collegiate Education withdraws circular restricting students from joining political protests
2 hours ago
Kerala Governor Arlekar turns Good Samaritan, stops convoy to help ailing man on road
3 hours ago
Tejashwi Yadav detained during protest march in Patna; water cannon used to disperse RJD supporters
3 hours ago
Rubina Dilaik reminisces ‘KKK’ journey: Every day was filled with what will happen next
3 hours ago
Karisma Kapoor recalls ‘strict times’ working with Geeta Kapur on ‘Pyaar Kar’ from ‘Dil To Pagal Hai’
3 hours ago
Pankaj Bhadouria says cancer ‘tested body’ but ‘couldn’t break spirit’, urges women not to postpone check-ups
3 hours ago
Nargis Fakhri’s mantra on self-love: Remembering to take care of yourself is key
4 hours ago
Nargis Fakhri’s mantra on self-love: Remembering to take care of yourself is key
4 hours ago
Kerala HC gives Satheesan govt six weeks to fill vacancies in Waqf Board
4 hours ago
‘Temples are built today, so that one could loot’, Renuka Chowdhury stirs ups row with Ram Mandir remark
4 hours ago
Manipur: Shutdown over NRC demand; normal life hit across Imphal Valley for 2nd day
4 hours ago
BJP first spread hatred, now appropriating Vande Mataram to further its design: Renuka Chowdhury
4 hours ago
TN CM Vijay raises health insurance cover for citizens to ₹25 lakh; announces cars, allowances for MLAs
