Headlines
US to deploy 200 troops in Saudi Arabia
Washington, Sep 27
The US has decided to deploy 200 troops and missile defence equipment in Saudi Arabia in the wake of the September 14 drone attacks on a major oil field and a petroleum processing facility in the Kingdom, Chief Pentagon spokesman Jonathan Hoffman has announced.
"In light of recent attacks in Saudi Arabia, and at their invitation, Secretary of Defence Mark Esper announced today (Thursday) that the US would deploy one Patriot Battery, four Sentinel RADARs and approximately 200 support personnel," a Department of Defence statement quoted Hoffman as saying on Thursday.
"This deployment will augment the Kingdom's air and missile defence of critical military and civilian infrastructure."
Hoffman added in the statement that Secretary Esper has also approved "putting additional forces on Prepare To Deploy Orders (PTDO)", but " no decision has been made to deploy these additional forces".
Hoffman added that the US' move was "a demonstration of our (America) commitment to regional partners, and the security and stability in the Middle East".
Thursday's announcement comes after President Donald Trump on September 21 approved sending more US forces to the Gulf which are "defensive in nature" and will be "primarily focused on air and missile defence".
The September 14 attacks were carried out by 10 unmanned aircraft. It hit the Hijra Khurais - one of Saudi Arabia's largest oil fields, producing about 1.5 million barrels a day - and Abqaiq, the world's biggest crude stabilization facility, which processes seven million barrels of Saudi oil a day, or about 8 per cent of the world's total output.
The attack disrupted about half of the Kingdom's oil capacity, or 5 per cent of the daily global oil supply. The oil field and the processing facility belonged to the state energy company Aramco, which is the world's largest oil producer.
The Yemeni Houthi rebels said they had carried out the attacks. But both the US and Saudi Arabia said Iran was behind them.
Tehran has strongly denied their claim.
The US has kept piling up pressure on Iran through its "maximum pressure campaign".
Earlier on Thursday, Trump announced a presidential proclamation barring senior Iranian government officials and their family members from entering the US.
On Wednesday, Iranian President Hassan Rouhani ruled out negotiations with the US unless the latter lifted sanctions on his country first, further dampening the hope of a meeting between him and Trump on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly in New York.
"In light of recent attacks in Saudi Arabia, and at their invitation, Secretary of Defence Mark Esper announced today (Thursday) that the US would deploy one Patriot Battery, four Sentinel RADARs and approximately 200 support personnel," a Department of Defence statement quoted Hoffman as saying on Thursday.
"This deployment will augment the Kingdom's air and missile defence of critical military and civilian infrastructure."
Hoffman added in the statement that Secretary Esper has also approved "putting additional forces on Prepare To Deploy Orders (PTDO)", but " no decision has been made to deploy these additional forces".
Hoffman added that the US' move was "a demonstration of our (America) commitment to regional partners, and the security and stability in the Middle East".
Thursday's announcement comes after President Donald Trump on September 21 approved sending more US forces to the Gulf which are "defensive in nature" and will be "primarily focused on air and missile defence".
The September 14 attacks were carried out by 10 unmanned aircraft. It hit the Hijra Khurais - one of Saudi Arabia's largest oil fields, producing about 1.5 million barrels a day - and Abqaiq, the world's biggest crude stabilization facility, which processes seven million barrels of Saudi oil a day, or about 8 per cent of the world's total output.
The attack disrupted about half of the Kingdom's oil capacity, or 5 per cent of the daily global oil supply. The oil field and the processing facility belonged to the state energy company Aramco, which is the world's largest oil producer.
The Yemeni Houthi rebels said they had carried out the attacks. But both the US and Saudi Arabia said Iran was behind them.
Tehran has strongly denied their claim.
The US has kept piling up pressure on Iran through its "maximum pressure campaign".
Earlier on Thursday, Trump announced a presidential proclamation barring senior Iranian government officials and their family members from entering the US.
On Wednesday, Iranian President Hassan Rouhani ruled out negotiations with the US unless the latter lifted sanctions on his country first, further dampening the hope of a meeting between him and Trump on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly in New York.
33 minutes ago
Tejashwi Yadav detained during protest march in Patna; water cannon used to disperse RJD supporters
35 minutes ago
Rubina Dilaik reminisces ‘KKK’ journey: Every day was filled with what will happen next
36 minutes ago
Karisma Kapoor recalls ‘strict times’ working with Geeta Kapur on ‘Pyaar Kar’ from ‘Dil To Pagal Hai’
38 minutes ago
Pankaj Bhadouria says cancer ‘tested body’ but ‘couldn’t break spirit’, urges women not to postpone check-ups
41 minutes ago
Nargis Fakhri’s mantra on self-love: Remembering to take care of yourself is key
44 minutes ago
Nargis Fakhri’s mantra on self-love: Remembering to take care of yourself is key
59 minutes ago
Kerala HC gives Satheesan govt six weeks to fill vacancies in Waqf Board
1 hour ago
‘Temples are built today, so that one could loot’, Renuka Chowdhury stirs ups row with Ram Mandir remark
1 hour ago
Manipur: Shutdown over NRC demand; normal life hit across Imphal Valley for 2nd day
1 hour ago
BJP first spread hatred, now appropriating Vande Mataram to further its design: Renuka Chowdhury
1 hour ago
TN CM Vijay raises health insurance cover for citizens to ₹25 lakh; announces cars, allowances for MLAs
1 hour ago
'Manuvadis pained as Dalit has become minister’: Nagendra accuses Oppn of disrupting K'taka Assembly despite govt call to discuss issue
1 hour ago
Zepto raised 'free delivery' minimum order value by up to 100 pc to Rs 299
