Headlines
Siachen now open for tourism, says Defence Minister
New Delhi, Oct 21
The Siachen Glacier in India, which is the world's highest battlefield, has now been opened to tourists, Defence Minister Rajnath Singh said in Ladakh on Monday.
The Defence Minister was in Ladakh, along with Army chief Gen. Bipin Rawat, to inaugurate a strategically located bridge across the Shyok River which will provide easy connectivity with the Daulat Beg Oldi sector along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) with China.
"Ladakh has tremendous potential in tourism. Better connectivity in Ladakh would certainly bring tourists in large numbers. The Siachen area is now open for tourists and tourism. From Siachen Base Camp to Kumar Post, the entire area has been opened for tourism purposes," Rajnath Singh said in a tweet.
The Indian Army had been allowing expeditions to Siachen in the late 1970s till they came to a total stop in 1984.
The announcement regarding the opening up of Siachen for tourists comes a few days ahead of Ladakh being declared a separate Union Territory on October 31.
In June this year, Rajnath Singh, accompanied by Gen. Rawat, had visited Siachen and praised the "tenacious resolve and unstinting commitment" of the soldiers deployed in the region. He had undertaken an aerial reconnaissance of the Siachen Glacier and interacted with troops at one of the forward posts.
The Defence Minister was in Ladakh, along with Army chief Gen. Bipin Rawat, to inaugurate a strategically located bridge across the Shyok River which will provide easy connectivity with the Daulat Beg Oldi sector along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) with China.
"Ladakh has tremendous potential in tourism. Better connectivity in Ladakh would certainly bring tourists in large numbers. The Siachen area is now open for tourists and tourism. From Siachen Base Camp to Kumar Post, the entire area has been opened for tourism purposes," Rajnath Singh said in a tweet.
The Indian Army had been allowing expeditions to Siachen in the late 1970s till they came to a total stop in 1984.
The announcement regarding the opening up of Siachen for tourists comes a few days ahead of Ladakh being declared a separate Union Territory on October 31.
In June this year, Rajnath Singh, accompanied by Gen. Rawat, had visited Siachen and praised the "tenacious resolve and unstinting commitment" of the soldiers deployed in the region. He had undertaken an aerial reconnaissance of the Siachen Glacier and interacted with troops at one of the forward posts.
2 hours ago
"We will correct delusions of this deluded man": Iran hits back at Trump's assertion over Hormuz as "NEW U.S. Territory"
2 hours ago
Trump holds off Iran talks until Tehran is "ready to make a deal": Reports
2 hours ago
Many Paths. One Destination: An Evening of Peace at Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, New York
2 hours ago
USCIS Issues Guidance on Making Public Charge Inadmissibility Determination
2 hours ago
India, Iceland discuss green shipping, capacity building and fisheries
2 hours ago
India reiterates support for negotiated two-State solution in Palestine
2 hours ago
Mauritius President raises toast celebrating longstanding friendship with India
2 hours ago
US violent crime posts record fall: FBI
2 hours ago
Rubio, UAE security chief discuss Iran
2 hours ago
US sanctions ICC chief, vows wider campaign
2 hours ago
FBI data record 189 anti-Sikh, 32 anti-Hindu hate crime offences in 2025
2 hours ago
Indian-American Pia Dandiya wins Democratic primary in Florida
2 hours ago
Pentagon weighs reducing US military presence in Persian Gulf after Iran war: Report
