Headlines
Cartelisation? Airtel, Vodafone issue similar tariff hike statements
New Delhi, Nov 18
The ongoing telecom crisis is set to hit the customers hard with two of the country's largest telcos -- Bharti Airtel and Vodafone -- deciding to hike tariffs from December 1 after they posted historic losses on account of provisioning for the AGR pending dues.
In what smacks of cartelisation shaping up in the sector, Bharti Airtel and Vodafone Idea on Monday came out with strikingly similar statements to announce the tariff hike decision. Both companies also announced the tariff hike within a few minutes of each other and both did not reveal the quantum of hike.
"The telecom sector is highly capital intensive with fast changing technology cycles that require continuing investments. It is, therefore, extremely important that the industry remains viable to support the vision of Digital India," Bharti Airtel said in a statement.
"Accordingly, Airtel will appropriately increase price offerings in the month beginning December," it added.
Vodafone had also noted that the acute financial stress in the telecom sector has been acknowledged by all stakeholders and a high-level committee of secretaries (CoS) headed by the Cabinet Secretary is looking into providing appropriate relief. It had said it would "suitably increase the prices of its tariffs" effective from December 1.
The quantum of losses incurred by the two telcos have made their operations unsustainable. In fact, Vodafone has hinted at not being able to remain as a going concern if relief does not come for the sector.
In such a scenario, tariff hike has not only become inevitable but a must survival strategy. The two of the hardest hit telcos coming together to announce similar measures seems to be a building up of a strategy where the players would like to explore synergies that could reduce their burden. However, both companies have so far not indicated such a possibility.
Airtel and Vodafone Idea had posted a combined loss of Rs 74,000 crore in Q2 following provisioning for the AGR pending dues. Vodafone has hinted at not being able to remain as a going concern if relief does not come for the sector.
In what smacks of cartelisation shaping up in the sector, Bharti Airtel and Vodafone Idea on Monday came out with strikingly similar statements to announce the tariff hike decision. Both companies also announced the tariff hike within a few minutes of each other and both did not reveal the quantum of hike.
"The telecom sector is highly capital intensive with fast changing technology cycles that require continuing investments. It is, therefore, extremely important that the industry remains viable to support the vision of Digital India," Bharti Airtel said in a statement.
"Accordingly, Airtel will appropriately increase price offerings in the month beginning December," it added.
Vodafone had also noted that the acute financial stress in the telecom sector has been acknowledged by all stakeholders and a high-level committee of secretaries (CoS) headed by the Cabinet Secretary is looking into providing appropriate relief. It had said it would "suitably increase the prices of its tariffs" effective from December 1.
The quantum of losses incurred by the two telcos have made their operations unsustainable. In fact, Vodafone has hinted at not being able to remain as a going concern if relief does not come for the sector.
In such a scenario, tariff hike has not only become inevitable but a must survival strategy. The two of the hardest hit telcos coming together to announce similar measures seems to be a building up of a strategy where the players would like to explore synergies that could reduce their burden. However, both companies have so far not indicated such a possibility.
Airtel and Vodafone Idea had posted a combined loss of Rs 74,000 crore in Q2 following provisioning for the AGR pending dues. Vodafone has hinted at not being able to remain as a going concern if relief does not come for the sector.
9 hours ago
Trump doubles down on Hormuz Strait as 'New US Territory' after Iran MoU implodes
10 hours ago
Kerala Police goes smart as AI Track, Cyber Wall initiatives launched
10 hours ago
Qatar says regional efforts focus on reopening Hormuz Strait, reviving US-Iran MoU
16 hours ago
We sang what Mahatma, Vajpayee sang, if it's crime, file case against them, says Kharge on Vande Mataram row
16 hours ago
BJP leaders welcome Trump’s praise for India’s electoral system, SP smells a rat
17 hours ago
Anurag Kashyap enjoys dinner with Imtiaz Ali, his ‘dimagi nakal’ T-shirt steals the show
17 hours ago
James Wan on ‘Insidious: Out of the Further’: Never seen the Further take physical form to this extent
17 hours ago
After legal victory, ‘Mahaprabhu Jagannath’ now locked for August 28 release
17 hours ago
Nidhhi Agerwal's next film to be a mythological thriller!
17 hours ago
Paris Hilton mourns loss of ‘beautiful soul’ Hayden Panettiere: I’ll always cherish our friendship
17 hours ago
Bengali actress Rupa Dutta gets bail in Rs 1.48 lakh Colaba theft case
17 hours ago
Isha Koppikar says ‘call me Andhbhakt’: ‘My devotion is not for any political party, but for my country’
17 hours ago
Bhuvan Bam, Rohit Saraf, Pratibha Ranta and Gurfateh Pirzada lead fight against British empire in ‘The Revolutionaries’
