Headlines
SC moved for safe passage to all women at Sabarimala Temple
New Delhi, Dec 2
A woman, who was allegedly attacked while she attempted to visit the Sabarimala temple, moved the Supreme Court on Monday seeking directions for the Kerala government to ensure safe passage to any women visiting the temple.
Bindu A, who identifies herself from the Dalit background, had attempted to visit Sabarimala temple on November 26, but was "however, attacked in front of the office of the Commissioner of Police, Ernakulam District". Some chemical substances causing a burning sensation on the body, were sprayed at her face."
Last month, a five-judge bench of the apex court, in its decision on a review petition challenging the September 2018 judgement which allowed women of all age groups to gain to the temple, referred the matter to a seven-judge bench. It did not, however, stay the 2018 judgement.
Bindu, in the petition filed through advocate Prashant Padmanabhan, contends police have failed to act in time or to give her adequate protection, as she was attacked by some unlawful elements while paying a visit to the temple.
"The situation is the same for any woman aged between 10-50 who wanted to visit Sabarimala, as there is an atmosphere of fear and lawlessness en route Sabarimala," she said in the petition.
Bindu had entered the Sabarimala temple last year. After her visit, a purification of the temple was conducted by the chief priest and she equated it with a form of untouchability, as pointed by Justice D.Y. Chandrachud in his concurring view in the 2018 judgment.
Bindu has asked the top court to direct the Kerala government to respect, fulfill and protect the rights of all women regardless of age to enter the Sabarimala temple without hindrance, particularly by preventing the unruly mobs or individuals from obstructing them from entering the temple.
She has sought top court direction to immediately stop the process of age verification and counselling done by the police officials at the behest of Kerala government discouraging women of menstruating age from visiting Sabarimala.
"Direct the State of Kerala to give wide publicity to the September 2018 judgment through the medium of television, newspapers, etc both local and national," said the petition.
Bindu A, who identifies herself from the Dalit background, had attempted to visit Sabarimala temple on November 26, but was "however, attacked in front of the office of the Commissioner of Police, Ernakulam District". Some chemical substances causing a burning sensation on the body, were sprayed at her face."
Last month, a five-judge bench of the apex court, in its decision on a review petition challenging the September 2018 judgement which allowed women of all age groups to gain to the temple, referred the matter to a seven-judge bench. It did not, however, stay the 2018 judgement.
Bindu, in the petition filed through advocate Prashant Padmanabhan, contends police have failed to act in time or to give her adequate protection, as she was attacked by some unlawful elements while paying a visit to the temple.
"The situation is the same for any woman aged between 10-50 who wanted to visit Sabarimala, as there is an atmosphere of fear and lawlessness en route Sabarimala," she said in the petition.
Bindu had entered the Sabarimala temple last year. After her visit, a purification of the temple was conducted by the chief priest and she equated it with a form of untouchability, as pointed by Justice D.Y. Chandrachud in his concurring view in the 2018 judgment.
Bindu has asked the top court to direct the Kerala government to respect, fulfill and protect the rights of all women regardless of age to enter the Sabarimala temple without hindrance, particularly by preventing the unruly mobs or individuals from obstructing them from entering the temple.
She has sought top court direction to immediately stop the process of age verification and counselling done by the police officials at the behest of Kerala government discouraging women of menstruating age from visiting Sabarimala.
"Direct the State of Kerala to give wide publicity to the September 2018 judgment through the medium of television, newspapers, etc both local and national," said the petition.
8 hours ago
Trump doubles down on Hormuz Strait as 'New US Territory' after Iran MoU implodes
8 hours ago
Kerala Police goes smart as AI Track, Cyber Wall initiatives launched
8 hours ago
Qatar says regional efforts focus on reopening Hormuz Strait, reviving US-Iran MoU
15 hours ago
We sang what Mahatma, Vajpayee sang, if it's crime, file case against them, says Kharge on Vande Mataram row
15 hours ago
BJP leaders welcome Trump’s praise for India’s electoral system, SP smells a rat
15 hours ago
Anurag Kashyap enjoys dinner with Imtiaz Ali, his ‘dimagi nakal’ T-shirt steals the show
15 hours ago
James Wan on ‘Insidious: Out of the Further’: Never seen the Further take physical form to this extent
15 hours ago
After legal victory, ‘Mahaprabhu Jagannath’ now locked for August 28 release
15 hours ago
Nidhhi Agerwal's next film to be a mythological thriller!
15 hours ago
Paris Hilton mourns loss of ‘beautiful soul’ Hayden Panettiere: I’ll always cherish our friendship
15 hours ago
Bengali actress Rupa Dutta gets bail in Rs 1.48 lakh Colaba theft case
15 hours ago
Isha Koppikar says ‘call me Andhbhakt’: ‘My devotion is not for any political party, but for my country’
15 hours ago
Bhuvan Bam, Rohit Saraf, Pratibha Ranta and Gurfateh Pirzada lead fight against British empire in ‘The Revolutionaries’
