Business
Govt refutes reports, says didn't ask EV makers to stop production
New Delhi, April 29
The Union Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) has refuted media reports that claimed the government has asked electric two-wheeler manufacturers to refrain from launching any new products in the market in the wake of EV fires.
The Ministry issued a clarification saying it has not asked any EV manufacturer to stop production.
"A section of media has reported that MoRTH has asked electric two-whaler manufacturers not to launch new vehicles till instances of fire are investigated," it said in a tweet late on Thursday.
"The Ministry wishes to clarify that there is no such instruction and such reports are unfounded, misleading and far from the truth."
Earlier this week, Union Road Transport and Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari cautioned EV makers to recall all faulty two-wheelers, saying that some EV batteries may be facing issues owing to extreme hot weather conditions the country is currently going through.
Stressing that the government seeks to make EVs more popular among the masses, the Minister said the EV industry has just started.
"We don't want to put a hurdle but safety is first and foremost priority," he added.
Gadkari had warned EV makers that if any company is found negligent in their processes, "a heavy penalty will be imposed and a recall of all defective vehicles will also be ordered".
"We have constituted an Expert Committee to inquire into these incidents and make recommendations on remedial steps. Based on the reports, we will issue necessary orders on the defaulting companies," he had said, adding that the government will soon issue quality-centric guidelines for electric vehicles.
His comments came as the country is going through a spate of EV fires and deadly battery blasts.
To date, three Pure EV, one Ola, two Okinawa and 20 Jitendra EV scooters have caught fire in the country, raising burning questions about their safety.
7 hours ago
Jesse Jackson, civil rights titan, dies at 84
18 hours ago
Shabana Azmi reflects on her iconic 'flower-in-hair' style in 1982 throwback post, says 'position has changed'
18 hours ago
Huma Qureshi hails Rajkummar Rao ‘one of the most committed actors of our times’
18 hours ago
Karisma Kapoor 'honoured' to be a part of a round table attended by Queen of Jordan
18 hours ago
Mrunal Thakur talks about the biggest challenge for love in modern times
18 hours ago
Nayanthara on winning State Awards: "Truly blessed"
18 hours ago
Shilpa Shirodkar visits Chinese temple in Mumbai, extends New Year wishes
18 hours ago
Trademark infringement suit: US AI company Anthropic PBC fails to appear, Karnataka court issues fresh notice
18 hours ago
Young man dragged for kms by Mercedes in Ranchi, Jharkhand HC lawyer detained
18 hours ago
Pahalgam attack victim’s daughter vents frustration, recounts struggle in claiming promised govt job
19 hours ago
HC cancels Nava Kerala survey, setback for Vijayan govt
19 hours ago
Bengaluru: Actress alleges secret video recording during Celebrity Cricket Tournament; FIR lodged
19 hours ago
UP Assembly: Cong protests on MGNREGA issue, SP calls out SIR process
