Headlines
146 killed, 150 injured in stampede at Halloween parties in Seoul
Seoul, Oct 30
As many as 146 people have been killed while 150 others were injured in a deadly stampede in Seoul's Itaewon district, as huge crowds of partygoers stampeded at late-night Halloween celebrations, fire authorities said on Sunday.
The accident took place on Saturday evening in a narrow downhill alley near Hamilton Hotel in the famous nightlife district after a throng of partygoers flooded into it, according to witnesses.
Tens of thousands of people were visiting the area for Halloween parties, Yonhap news agency reported.
A total of 146 people had been confirmed dead as of early Sunday morning with 150 others injured, fire authorities said, adding the death toll could rise further.
Choi Seong-beom, Head of the Fire Department in Yongsan, which includes Itaewon, told reporters "many casualties were incurred as a crowd of people fell over during Halloween parties".
Victims in their 20s accounted for the age group most affected by the accident, the authorities also said.
Fire authorities initially received dozens of reports from people in the Itaewon area about patients with breathing difficulties. Rescuers sent to the scene had administered CPR on dozens of victims on a nearby road.
"As people in the front fell over, those in the back were crushed," a witness in his 20s told Yonhap news agency.
Rumours at the scene were that a crowd of people had flocked to a place to see a celebrity or candies laced with drugs had been distributed at clubs, but the exact cause of the accident is yet to be known.
Shortly after the stampede, President Yoon Suk-yeol presided over two successive emergency meetings, ordering officials to swiftly administer first aid and treat the injured, the presidential office said.
Yoon also ordered officials to deploy emergency medical officials to Itaewon and secure emergency beds.
After presiding over an emergency meeting on the stampede, Yoon instructed officials to thoroughly investigate the cause of the accident.
Separately, Prime Minister Han Duck-soo instructed officials to make utmost efforts to minimise damages.
Meanwhile, Seoul Mayor Oh Se-hoon, who is on a visit to Europe, decided to return home in the wake of the accident, city officials said.
A total of 848 personnel, including 346 firefighters, were mobilised for the area.
Police plan to launch an investigation soon into whether bars and clubs in the area were in compliance with safety regulations.
7 hours ago
Trump doubles down on Hormuz Strait as 'New US Territory' after Iran MoU implodes
8 hours ago
Kerala Police goes smart as AI Track, Cyber Wall initiatives launched
8 hours ago
Qatar says regional efforts focus on reopening Hormuz Strait, reviving US-Iran MoU
14 hours ago
We sang what Mahatma, Vajpayee sang, if it's crime, file case against them, says Kharge on Vande Mataram row
14 hours ago
BJP leaders welcome Trump’s praise for India’s electoral system, SP smells a rat
14 hours ago
Anurag Kashyap enjoys dinner with Imtiaz Ali, his ‘dimagi nakal’ T-shirt steals the show
14 hours ago
James Wan on ‘Insidious: Out of the Further’: Never seen the Further take physical form to this extent
14 hours ago
After legal victory, ‘Mahaprabhu Jagannath’ now locked for August 28 release
14 hours ago
Nidhhi Agerwal's next film to be a mythological thriller!
14 hours ago
Paris Hilton mourns loss of ‘beautiful soul’ Hayden Panettiere: I’ll always cherish our friendship
14 hours ago
Bengali actress Rupa Dutta gets bail in Rs 1.48 lakh Colaba theft case
14 hours ago
Isha Koppikar says ‘call me Andhbhakt’: ‘My devotion is not for any political party, but for my country’
14 hours ago
Bhuvan Bam, Rohit Saraf, Pratibha Ranta and Gurfateh Pirzada lead fight against British empire in ‘The Revolutionaries’
