America
Suspect in Paul Pelosi attack pleads not guilty to all state charges
San Francisco, Dec 29
The man charged in the violent attack on Paul Pelosi, the husband of US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, pleaded not guilty to all state charges, including attempted murder, during his second arraignment in San Francisco's state court.
David DePape, the suspect, had previously pleaded not guilty to federal attempted kidnapping and assault charges on Wednesday.
In the early morning of October 28, 42-year-old DePape broke into the San Francisco home belonging to Nancy Pelosi and attacked 82-year-old Paul Pelosi with a hammer. Nancy Pelosi was not home at the time of the attack.
Paul Pelosi was sent to hospital where he had surgery to repair a skull fracture and received treatment for injuries to his right arm as well as both hands. DePape was arrested on the spot, Xinhua news agency reported.
The San Francisco District Attorney's office announced six felony charges against DePape, including attempted murder, assault with a deadly weapon, elder abuse, residential burglary, false imprisonment, and threatening the life or serious bodily harm to a public official which would carry sentences of 13 years to life in prison.
DePape made his first court appearance on November 1, and pleaded not guilty to charges against him. He had been held without bail.
In a preliminary hearing held on December 14, Judge Stephen Murphy ruled that there was enough evidence against DePape to move the case forward to trial on all charges.
10 minutes ago
Around 1,000 people gather at church in Israel to celebrate India's Independence Day
10 minutes ago
Pope Leo XIV renews call to end violence in West Bank, calls for two-state solution
12 minutes ago
China expands religious scrutiny to hospitals and schools in Chengdu, employees and students asked to disclose beliefs
13 minutes ago
Indian-American community sets Guinness World Record for largest flagpole number in New Jersey
16 minutes ago
Trump's AG rejects independence pledge
17 minutes ago
Former US JCS Chairman warns long deployments hurt readiness
18 minutes ago
Trump had no plan for Iran war: Democratic Senator
18 minutes ago
Kentucky Governor calls for end to Electoral College
19 minutes ago
Ro Khanna sketches 2028 White House vision
20 minutes ago
Iran's president says peace MoU with US advanced with 'dignity, power'
20 minutes ago
Trump says he instructed Pentagon chief to 'substantially' reduce South Korea-US military drills
21 minutes ago
New York India Day Parade, largest in the world, celebrates 'harmony in heritage’
22 minutes ago
S. Korea, US seek to resolve outstanding issues over investment plan
