America
No ceasefire without release of hostages: Netanyahu
Jerusalem Nov 7
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has reiterated that there will be no ceasefire in Gaza until the Hamas militant group releases all the hostages it took captive after launching the unprecented attack on October 7.
When asked about temporary "humanitarian" pauses in the fighting as suggested by US President Joe Biden and top administration officials, the Prime Minister told ABC News on Monday: "Well, there'll be no ceasefire, general ceasefire, in Gaza without the release of our hostages. As far as tactical little pauses, an hour here, an hour there.
" We've had them before, I suppose, will check the circumstances in order to enable goods, humanitarian goods to come in, or our hostages, individual hostages to leave. But I don't think there's going to be a general ceasefire."
According to the Israeli authorities, the Hamas is holding 240 people as hotages in Gaza, including Israelis and foreign nationals.
Media reports have indicated that about 30 of the them are children.
So far, the militant group released four civilian hostages, while afemale Israeli soldier was rescued by the country's forces.
Hamas has however, claimed that 57 of the hostages were killed in the the Israeli airstrikes.
Netanyahu went on to say that a ceasefire "will hamper the war effort".
"It'll hamper our effort to get our hostages out because the only thing that works on these criminals in Hamas is the military pressure that we're exerting."
When he was asked about a probable halt in the fighting if Hamas agreed to release the hostages, the Israeli leader told ABC News: "There will be a ceasefire for that purpose."
When Netanyahu was asked who will govern the enclave once and when the raging fighting ends, he indicated that he believed Israel will have a role to play for an "indefinite period".
"Those who don't want to continue the way of Hamas... It certainly is not -- I think Israel will, for an indefinite period will have the overall security responsibility because we've seen what happens when we don't have it.
"When we don't have that security responsibility, what we have is the eruption of Hamas terror on a scale that we couldn't imagine," he told ABC News.
Netanyahu also addressed the role of Iran and Hezbollah in the conflict, cautioning them from getting more involved.
"I think they've understood that if they enter the war in a significant way, the response will be very, very powerful and I hope they don't make that mistake."
As of Tuesday morning, the war in Gaza have killed more than 10,000 Palestinians in the besieged enclave, including 4,008 children and 2,550 women.
In Israel, the death toll stood at 1,400,
8 hours ago
Jesse Jackson, civil rights titan, dies at 84
19 hours ago
Shabana Azmi reflects on her iconic 'flower-in-hair' style in 1982 throwback post, says 'position has changed'
20 hours ago
Huma Qureshi hails Rajkummar Rao ‘one of the most committed actors of our times’
20 hours ago
Karisma Kapoor 'honoured' to be a part of a round table attended by Queen of Jordan
20 hours ago
Mrunal Thakur talks about the biggest challenge for love in modern times
20 hours ago
Nayanthara on winning State Awards: "Truly blessed"
20 hours ago
Shilpa Shirodkar visits Chinese temple in Mumbai, extends New Year wishes
20 hours ago
Trademark infringement suit: US AI company Anthropic PBC fails to appear, Karnataka court issues fresh notice
20 hours ago
Young man dragged for kms by Mercedes in Ranchi, Jharkhand HC lawyer detained
20 hours ago
Pahalgam attack victim’s daughter vents frustration, recounts struggle in claiming promised govt job
20 hours ago
HC cancels Nava Kerala survey, setback for Vijayan govt
20 hours ago
Bengaluru: Actress alleges secret video recording during Celebrity Cricket Tournament; FIR lodged
20 hours ago
UP Assembly: Cong protests on MGNREGA issue, SP calls out SIR process
