America
Middle East crisis: Blinken escalates demand for ceasefire
Washington, Nov 8
US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said on Wednesday that it is "clear that Israel cannot occupy Gaza", and "there may be a need for some transition period at the end of the conflict" between Israel and Hamas.
The top US diplomat's escalation of the US demand for a temporary truce and a "No" to occupation of Gaza came through his words "transition period" in response to comments from Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who earlier this week said Israel will have the "overall security responsibility" in Gaza for an "indefinite period" after the war with Hamas ends, media reports said.
"It is imperative that Palestinian people be central to the governance in Gaza, and in the West Bank as well, and that again, we don't see a re-occupation," Blinken said at a news conference following the G7 foreign ministers' meeting in Tokyo.
Blinken also said he heard from Israeli officials that "they have no intent to reoccupy Gaza and retain control of Gaza".
In what is being construed as rebuttal to Netanyahu’s comments, Blinken laid out in clear terms the US' terms for "durable peace and security" in Gaza after the war.
Blinken stressed that this territory must not be reduced or occupied.
"The only question is, is there some transition period that might be necessary? And what might be the mechanisms that you could put in place for that to make sure that there is security. But we're very clear on no reoccupation, just as we're very clear on no displacement of the Palestinian population," Blinken was quoted by the CNN as saying.
"As we've said before, we need to see and get to, in effect, unity of governance when it comes to Gaza and the West Bank, and ultimately to a Palestinian state," Blinken said.
Meanwhile, Israel said its forces were at the "heart of Gaza City" targeting Hamas infrastructure and commanders. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Israel was "advancing the pressure applied on Hamas every hour and every day".
But it is unclear where Israel is operating from inside Gaza City, which lies to the north of Gaza Strip.
Israel opened another temporary evacuation corridor on Wednesday for people in Gaza to move south, the destination for all those who fled.
As civilian casualties mount, G7 ministers voiced support for humanitarian pauses in the fighting but stopped short of calling for a ceasefire. Israel has ruled out humanitarian pauses without the release of hostages.
The White House maintained it doesn't believe Israeli forces should reoccupy Gaza after Netanyahu said Israel will have the "overall security responsibility" for the strip for an "indefinite period." A top Netanyahu aide said Israel's post-war plan is not an "ongoing occupation".
5 hours ago
Jesse Jackson, civil rights titan, dies at 84
17 hours ago
Shabana Azmi reflects on her iconic 'flower-in-hair' style in 1982 throwback post, says 'position has changed'
17 hours ago
Huma Qureshi hails Rajkummar Rao ‘one of the most committed actors of our times’
17 hours ago
Karisma Kapoor 'honoured' to be a part of a round table attended by Queen of Jordan
17 hours ago
Mrunal Thakur talks about the biggest challenge for love in modern times
17 hours ago
Nayanthara on winning State Awards: "Truly blessed"
17 hours ago
Shilpa Shirodkar visits Chinese temple in Mumbai, extends New Year wishes
17 hours ago
Trademark infringement suit: US AI company Anthropic PBC fails to appear, Karnataka court issues fresh notice
17 hours ago
Young man dragged for kms by Mercedes in Ranchi, Jharkhand HC lawyer detained
17 hours ago
Pahalgam attack victim’s daughter vents frustration, recounts struggle in claiming promised govt job
17 hours ago
HC cancels Nava Kerala survey, setback for Vijayan govt
17 hours ago
Bengaluru: Actress alleges secret video recording during Celebrity Cricket Tournament; FIR lodged
17 hours ago
UP Assembly: Cong protests on MGNREGA issue, SP calls out SIR process
