America
Israel begins probe into sexual violence committed by Hamas amid Oct 7 attacks
Jerusalem, Nov 18
Israeli police have initiated an investigation into cases of rape and sexual violence committed by Hamas terrorists amid the October 7 unprecedented attacks against the Jewish nation.
In a statement, Police Superintendent Dudi Katz said officers have collected more than 1,000 statements and over 60,000 video clips related to the attacks that include accounts from people who reported seeing women raped, reports CNN.
He also said that investigators do not have firsthand testimony and it remained unclear whether any rape victims survived the assault.
In a separate statement, Police Commissioner Shabtai Yaakov said the probe could potentially lead to prosecutions, but documentation was the primary mission for now.
Cochav Elkayam-Levy, a human rights law expert at Hebrew University, has formed a civil commission with colleagues to document evidence of the atrocities.
“We’ll never know everything that has happened to them. We know that most women who were raped and who were sexually assaulted were also murdered,†Elkayam-Levy told CNN on Friday.
The police however, acknowledged that the investigation could take months.
As of Saturday morning, the death toll in the Jewish state stood at1,200, including Israelis and foreign nationals, according to authorities.
Till date, the names of 1,162 fatalities in Israel have been released, including 859 civilians and police officers.
Of those whose ages have been provided, 33 are children.
Meanwhile, at least 5,431 people have also been injured in the ensuing violence.
Authorities have said that 237 people are being held captive in Gaza, including Israelis and foreign nationals.
According to some media reports, about 30 of the hostages are children.
So far, four civilian hostages have been released by Hamas, one Israeli soldier was rescued by Israeli forces, and three bodies of captives have reportedly been retrieved by Israeli forces.
6 hours ago
Shabana Azmi reflects on her iconic 'flower-in-hair' style in 1982 throwback post, says 'position has changed'
6 hours ago
Huma Qureshi hails Rajkummar Rao ‘one of the most committed actors of our times’
6 hours ago
Karisma Kapoor 'honoured' to be a part of a round table attended by Queen of Jordan
6 hours ago
Mrunal Thakur talks about the biggest challenge for love in modern times
6 hours ago
Nayanthara on winning State Awards: "Truly blessed"
6 hours ago
Shilpa Shirodkar visits Chinese temple in Mumbai, extends New Year wishes
6 hours ago
Trademark infringement suit: US AI company Anthropic PBC fails to appear, Karnataka court issues fresh notice
6 hours ago
Young man dragged for kms by Mercedes in Ranchi, Jharkhand HC lawyer detained
6 hours ago
Pahalgam attack victim’s daughter vents frustration, recounts struggle in claiming promised govt job
6 hours ago
HC cancels Nava Kerala survey, setback for Vijayan govt
6 hours ago
Bengaluru: Actress alleges secret video recording during Celebrity Cricket Tournament; FIR lodged
6 hours ago
UP Assembly: Cong protests on MGNREGA issue, SP calls out SIR process
6 hours ago
Hyderabad Police Commissioner dismisses viral message about woman luring children as fake
