Business
Underwear maker submits bid to buy ailing SsangYong Motor
Seoul/New Delhi, June 24
South Korean underwear company Ssangbangwool said on Friday that it has submitted a bid for SsangYong Motor in the auction to find a new investor for the debt-laden carmaker.
SsangYong's lead manager, the EY Hanyoung accounting firm, received bids from interested companies for SsangYong and Ssangbangwool was the first identified participant.
"We have suggested some meaningful conditions to acquire SsangYong," a Ssangbangwool spokesman said without elaborating, reports Yonhap news agency.
In 2011, Mahindra & Mahindra acquired a 70 per cent stake in SsangYong for 523 billion won and now holds a 74.65 percent stake in the carmaker.
In May, SsangYong selected a local consortium led by chemical-to-steel firm KG Group as the preliminary bidder for SsangYong, which has been under court receivership since April 15, 2021, after Mahindra failed to attract an investor amid the Covid-19 pandemic and its worsening financial status.
Last month, four firms -- KG Group, Pavilion PE, EV parts maker EL B&T and underwear company Ssangbangwool -- competed to become the preliminary bidder for SsangYong in the stalking horse bid. KG and Pavilion PE formed a consortium after submitting letters of intent (LOIs).
SsangYong and EY Hanyoung accepted the KG-led consortium as the preliminary bidder as the consortium beat others in terms of the acquisition price, fundraising plans and employment guarantee period.
The new auction comes two months after local electric bus maker Edison Motors failed to make a full payment of $249 million for the debt-laden carmaker by the March 25 deadline.
The court extended the deadline for SsangYong to find a new owner and submit a new restructuring plan by six months until October 15.
SsangYong aims to select a preferred bidder at the end of June, sign a deal in early July, submit its rehabilitation plan to the court in late July and obtain the court's approval for its restructuring plan in late August.
China-based SAIC Motor acquired a 51 percent stake in SsangYong in 2004 but relinquished its control of the carmaker in 2009 in the wake of the global financial crisis.
SsangYong's lineup consists of the Tivoli, Korando, Rexton, and Rexton Sports SUVs.
2 hours ago
Musk's X suffers global outage, users in India unable to load posts
3 hours ago
EAM Jaishankar, Canadian FM meet in Munich; reflect 'growing momentum in bilateral ties'
6 hours ago
Bill Gates visits Real Time Governance Society Centre at Andhra Secretariat
6 hours ago
Rajasthan fire tragedy: VP Radhakrishnan, PM Modi express grief over loss of lives
7 hours ago
Shanaya Kapoor reveals 'Tu yaa main' came at a time when she was not really confident
7 hours ago
Trisha: Disrespect should and always will be called out!
7 hours ago
Sudipto Sen wished to create a universal cinematic experience of Indian occult world with 'Charak'
7 hours ago
RajKummar Rao on his Ujjwal Nikam biopic being physically demanding: Had to gain weight..
7 hours ago
India, Greece discuss enhancing maritime cooperation
7 hours ago
Class 10 student dies after jumping from school building in K'taka's Bharamasagara
7 hours ago
Days on, no breakthrough in Pangode Military Camp tusks theft
7 hours ago
SC to commence hearing Sabarimala review case on entry of all women from April 7
7 hours ago
Over 40 lakh visitors from 100 nations: BAPS Hindu Mandir in Abu Dhabi marks two years of global inspiration
